Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas!

We are enjoying a very quiet Christmas.  Yesterday, Christmas Eve was our big busy and eventful day. It started out with a nice sail on the boat.  I needed to be back no later than #:00 p.m. to do my part of the cooking for our shared dinner with the landlady and her family.  My contributions were to be dressing, sweet potatoes, gravy, mashed potatoes to go with the turkey that she was baking and whatever else she decided to make.  It was the first time I ever attempted to make dressing in the slow cooker.  (It turned out to be successful enough although not my best.)

Anyway, it was a perfect day and we sailed down to Caye Chapel and back in water that was brilliant turquoise.  As we were coming back in to tie up we commented on what a special day it had been.  That's when all hell broke loose.  We came in a bit too fast and when Les grabbed for the post to tie up the dinghie caught on something on the back and swung us into the post and caught his arm.  Almost broke it but he managed to move fast enough that he got away Unfortunately, leaving a chunk of arm behind.  I grabbed the first aid kit and we managed to staunch the flow and get tied up.  He took me ashore so I could cook but when we got there I did not follow instructions ("Sit still until I can help you out.") and decided to hop out on my own. Halfway through that maneuver I discovered that my "hop" is no longer functional and did some kind of wild split that pulled some muscle in my back.  By the time I got up to the house to start my share of cooking  I was shaking so hard I could hardly get up the stairs.  Lester went back to the boat to close it all up and (drum roll) that was when the finale occurred.  He was pulling the motor up in the lock position when the motor mount broke and the motor fell off in the water.  What a day!

So now he is drying out and cleaning up the motor and waiting to see how much damage was done.  But the dinner was good We are about to partake of leftovers today.  Expect better news next posting

No comments:

Post a Comment