Friday, June 1, 2012

Tomorrow will be a week since my last post so guess I had better catch up. First of all we did go to Rana Azul on Sunday and while I did not have to spend my afternoon in the outhouse, I did manage to have one too many rum and cokes and Thank God people were not dancing on the tables because I probably would have joined them. Let's just say that Les had some trouble getting me in and out of the boat for the trip home.  More than that I do not care to divulge.  
Monday I paid for Sunday.  Fortunately, this is only the third such day of misery in my 72 years.  There was one 45 years ago in Hermiston, Oregon after going to a western dance.  The next one was about 17 or 18 years ago in Mazatlan after an evening at Senor Frog's (where the infamous table dancing occurred.) This will have to have been the last as I couldn't survive another. 


We had planned to go shopping on Tuesday but the weather was so threatening we opted to wait until Wednesday.  By Wednesday we had little choice as our cupboards were pretty bare.  The weather was equally threatening and by the time we made it to Bocas it had begun to make good on that threat.  What a downpour.  And the lightening was so close there was no delay in flash and sound.  They were pretty much simultaneous. Crack/Boom.  WE waited a bit before starting home.


I am beginning to get my cooking under control.  First of all, I am learning to cook somewhat better on a gas stove.  I still find it hard to simmer because all the settings are so high.  But if I stand right there and keep removing the pan in order for everything not to burn or stick or scorch it works okay.  It is nice to have an oven.  We don't have one on Caye Caulker. I baked a cake yesterday and it came out fine.  Also I am having the big meal of the day about 2:00 p.m. That way I am not in the kitchen when the sun is beating in that window about 5:00.  I try to have something simple ready for evening because I will not have lights to cook or clean up by after 6:30.   Still it is more convenient than Caye Caulker because there is a nice double sink and plenty of working space on the counter. I really like that!!


I'm starting to work on finding a few tours so that when Carol and Frank come we'll be able to show them around.  Our neighbor did tell us of a great place to hike across the bay and we explored a little in the boat the other afternoon and found it.  We may go there tomorrow.
In the meantime we are working with some locals to get the bottom of the sailboat cleaned and the dock repaired.  The dock is close to collapsing. 
More later!  
    

2 comments:

  1. And the adventure continues! I look forward to your posts.

    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I would have loved to have been there! Regardless of how you were feeling later, I'm sure you had a wonderful time. Never say "never". I loved the way you have learned to improvise with the stove. How come you don't have any power after 6:30? I thought that everything is solar and that the power would last at least until the next day??? Keep these posts coming. We loved reading them!

    ReplyDelete