Friday, May 18, 2012

I wrote a blog day before yesterday that disappeared just as I was finishing the last sentence. Just poof! And it was gone. I was`too traumatized to start over until now. Let's hope this time it works. Let me see, where was I when I was so rudely poofed? Oh yes, I was telling about arriving here in Bocas del Toro on Saturday afternoon about 5:00. We took a cab to our hotel, which turned out to be about a block and a half away from the airport. We could have walked there in the time it took to put the bags in the trunk and wait on another passenger. Oh well, gave us a chance to get acquainted with the driver, Marlon (as in Marlon Brando, he informed us.) Later, after getting the suitcases in the room, we walked down the main street. Town is about 5 blocks long and 2 blocks wide. I was` amazed at what all was available in the grocery stores. Anything you might want and many things I'd never seen before but want now! The prices were quite reasonable. Much less than in Belize. Panama must have better trade agreements with other countries than Belize. The wine here is very cheap! They almost pay you to carry it out the door. And it is good! We had dinner on the street and breakfast at the hotel before meeting the current house sitters for the boat ride back to the house. I mention these two meals because one of them resulted in my no longer being able to boast of having an iron stomach while traveling in third world countries. WE made a detour on the way home to stop at a little outdoor cafe/bar in the jungle. It is only open on Sunday afternoons and is the local watering hole/meeting place for expats in the area. It was a good opportunity to meet many of the people who have retired here. Or it would have been a good opportunity except that I spent most of my afternoon in one of the two stalls of the outhouse out back. I think Lester had a good time. (It was a unique Mother's Day for me.) The former house sitters are just great! They are from South Africa. Early 40's in age and very adventurous. Among other things they have spent time managing guesthouses in Scotland and The Corn Islands of Nicaragua. At the same time they have an online business selling apps. (Don't ask me what apps are.) Something to do with computer programing I think. Anyway when they told us that I smiled and nodded my head wisely as if I deal with apps every say! I'm getting worried that this will disappear again so will post and then start over as there is more to tell.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I se what you mean about postings disapperaring with a POOF! My "cmoment just did the same thing. I'll try again. Here's my email if you'd like to chat more direcly with me womankindconnection@gmail.com Thanks!

    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete