Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Well, a bit more about the place and I guess I'll start with the critters.
The first two are the dogs, Gelli (Magellan) and Indy (Independence).  They are quite well behaved and no trouble at all except to check them over for ticks and other jungle things.  Gelli has a patch of ringworm I am treating now and I am trying to get rid of Indy's ear mites. Gelli is the more adventurous of the two and lately has been out finding various ripe things to roll in. She often sports a certain interesting fragrance.
Now to the less domesticated critters.  As soon as it gets dark the frogs come out.  Must be big from the sounds of them.  These frogs say "Whoop!  Whoop!" Later they stop and there are just the regular cheepings and twitterings. There are lots of fireflies!  They are quiet, of cours.  And in the early  morning the howler monkeys start roaring to establish their territories I guess.  Lots of birds here.  We have one particular favorite, a tanager with a red back.  There are several bird books here (for those of you coming later so no need to bring any.) The bugs are pretty much everywhere.  There is a big spider (pet of Jeanne and Steve's who is named "seven legs" for obvious reasons.  She hangs from a rafter out front and I always check to make sure where she is each day!!! Yesterday, I carried a loaf of bread over to the neighbors and almost ran into her sister stretched across the path.  Had to jump back quick and find a big stick to dislodge her.  Will be waving a stick in front of me wherever I go now. For example, I am going to the neighbors today to ride over in her boat to someone's house to play Mahjong! My stick is at the ready!
(More about the extensive social life here later. It's busier than in Live Oak and no one has cars.  All done by boat.)
No mosquitoes to speak of.  I am told that no-see-ums can be a problem but have not run into them yet.  Next to the path to the boat there are some small shiny green frogs that Lester has looked up and identified as poison dart frogs so if you are into kissing frogs these should be avoided.
I am on the look out for bugs in the house as, since it is not finishe, they certainly have plenty of access.  With all the knotholes in the lumber (and my increasingly poor eyesight) it is hard to distinguish between natural wood markings and large insects.  I find that the best clue is to watch for movement.  One bad thing is that there are scorpions here.  Lester saw one crawling on the rafters the other day and the neighbors find them frequently.  That's even scarier than spiders!  More later..  

1 comment:

  1. Your description of the place is wonderful! I can just hear all of the animal sounds. I'm anxious to see some photos??

    ReplyDelete